Sunday, May 28, 2006

This weeks Highs & Lows

I met a boy names Opio on the bus up to Lira on Monday (May 22nd). He was obviously a street kid with his filthy clothes and bare feet. He didn't speak Lugandan (local language) nor did he speak english. He spoke Lango, the language of the people from Lira so we had to speak to him through a third guy who was sitting next to Paul and I.

Opio said that he was 7 years old although I think he was closer to 10, his mother lives in an IDP camp not far from the town of Lira. He left Lira two months ago and probably either talked his way onto a bus to Kampala or stowed away. Why did he come over 100 Km to Kampala? Because he heard that there is money here, so his goal was to get 5000 shillings (approx. $2.75 USD). Two months later, he is happy because he has his money and is heading home. He was very vague in how he got his money but when the money runs out he will just go back to Kampala to get more!

I struggled with the desire to give him more money or to buy him some groceries but then I thought I wondered maybe that would just encourage him to come back to Kampala quicker and reaffirm this idea of money in Kampala. But I still wanted to do this. Unfortunately, he disappeared quickly after getting off the bus. Now, everytime I see a street kid begging I don't think I can pass them up. I will just remember Opio and hopefully I will have some extra schillings available.

My High for the week happened on Friday. The G21 team were practicing all day and at the end of the day they were just playing some music. I saw two of the pregnant girls in the doorway, doing hand movements to the music. I went through my office door to get a look at what they were doing. After a few moments the girl saw me looking at her and she got embarrased, laughed and ran down the hall way. I followed her and asked if she liked the music, of coarse she did. I invited her to come down and listen to the music. All of a sudden I have six pregnant girls in the Outreach room dancing to the music! It was a regualar dance party, the only difference is that these girls are 7-9 months pregnant! It did remind me that these girls are just that, young girls who find themselves in some scarry circumstances. It was so good to see them let lose and just dance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home